Flickr / joiseyshowaa
US shares shut mixed amid a lackluster session. The S&P five hundred and Dow Jones industrial typical booked little losses when the Nasdaq eked out a achieve. The Dow shut earlier mentioned the psychologically significant twenty,000 amount for a third straight session.
Here’s the scoreboard:
- Dow: twenty,091.eighty, -nine.11 (-.05%)
- S&P five hundred: 2,294.forty nine, -2.19 (-.10%)
- Nasdaq: 5660.78, +5.61 (+.10%)
- US GDP whiffed. The first estimate for fourth-quarter GDP confirmed the US economic system grew at an annual price of one.nine%, in accordance to data launched by the Bureau of Economic Examination. Wall Street had anticipated expansion of 2.2%.
- Purchaser confidence is at a twelve-calendar year higher. The final January examining for College of Michigan consumer confidence came in at ninety eight.5, its maximum a dozen years. “The submit-election surge in confidence was driven by a much more optimistic outlook for the economic system and position expansion in the course of the calendar year in advance as effectively as much more favorable economic prospective customers above the next five years,” reported Richard Curtin, the survey’s chief economist.
- The Mexican peso surged. The peso attained as a great deal as one.seven%, hitting a higher of 21.3806 per dollar, soon after President Trump and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto had an hour-prolonged cell phone dialogue. Friday’s contact followed Thursday’s fireworks, which saw Trump tweet about how Mexico ought to pay for the border wall and Peña Nieto canceling their assembly that was scheduled to acquire spot next week.
- Microsoft’s price tops $five hundred billion. The final time Microsoft was valued at much more than $five hundred billion was in 2000, just just before the tech bubble burst. Friday’s achieve of much more than 2% lifted the company’s valuation to a file higher.